Harvard Seventh In IC4A Meet

Scoring only nine points. Harvard's varsity track team ended its indoor competition this weekend by finishing in a tie for seventh with Princeton in the IC4A competition at Princeton.

Villanova won the meet, its fifth consecutive team title, by scoring 42 points. Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania tied for the runner-up spot, scoring 21 points apiece.

Harvard's Ed Nosal took a disappointing third place in the weight throw, an event he was favored to win. Ed heaved the 35-pound shot 60 feet, leaving him over two feet behind the winner of the event, cross-town rival Tom Sirois of Northeastern.

Tom Spengler ran a 4:10.3 mile to finish fourth in the event, Bob Clayton earned a third in the half-mile with a time of 1:52.9, while Howic Corwin took a fifth in the triple jump to round out the Crimson scoring.

Despite the team's poor showing, coach Bill McCurdy expressed satisfaction with the performance. "You have to remember that we went down there without Joe Naughton, our shot-putter, who's having academic problems, and Jon Enscoe's injury hurt us in the distance events." McCurdy said.

Harvard had to rely solely upon individuals as the mile-relay team failed by one-tenth of a second to qualify for the finals.

"We had the misfortune of getting behind Yale too early in our heat, if you know what I mean," McCurdy said, "but I thought that Walter Johnson ran a great last lap to almost pull it out."

McCurdy singled out sophomore Jeff Brokaw for special praise. Brokaw failed to score any points, but his 9:01. two-mile was his fastest of the season, "If anyone had told me that Brokaw was going to run a nine-minute race this season. I'd call him crazy," McCurdy said.