Ben Beach Hail to Spring

It's Springtime in the Hub, time for long walks with your sweetheart, picnics under a flowing willow tree, or throwing a frisbec to and fro. These are the rites of Spring, which Mother Nature's children return to year after year.

There's another rite of Spring here at fair Harvard, one which all students can participate in vicariously if not in fact. It's called crew, and each Spring the he-men amongst us are out on the sparkling Charles in their sleek craft pulling valiantly to preserve the glory of Harvard in the face of competition from other schools.

Long after we leave, who will ever forget sitting on the verdent banks waiting for the crews to come into sight after the start, and always it's the Harvard oars reflecting sunlight that catch our eyes before all others. For it's the Cantabs who take the lead every time. And we cheer as they wisk by, the picture of precision, the ultimate in machinery hewned to a fine edge. A 707 jet in a field of piper cubs. You feel good knowing those men represent you.

CANTAB CAPERS.... There are rumors flying around the LAB that Cooncy Weiland and Bill Brooks will be made assistant directors of phys ed to help John Yovicsin... Rod Foster has indicated that he is going out for cross country next fall instead of football. He wants to be in top shape for the hoop season we hear.

RINK RUMBLINGS.... The hockey team was so taken with the way the NCAA handled the "Star-Spangled Banner" at Syracuse that it will use the same technique next winter. All the lights are turned off, the spotlights shine on the two flags, and a special device provides wind to make the flags flap.... Watson Rink goal judges will wear Harvard blazers during next year's Cornell game, but they will not share lodging with Harvard hockey players during the school year.

HOOP HINTS.... The Milwaukee Bucks appear to have their eye on Harvard's own Hal Smith, the sophomore sharpshooter and all-around hoop hero. They're dreaming of Big Lew Alcindor feeding Hal at the top of the key and midcourt. Hal, a member of the Gene Conley Fan Club, says he likes the idea as long as the Brewers draft him, too.... Cage coach Bob Harrison has asked the athletic department to order red suitcases and toothbrushes for his team's road trips to match their red blazers. The new items will carry the player's name and uniform number.

RING NEWS.... Muhammed Ali has decided to further his education and recently received his letter of acceptance from Harvard. Henry Lamar, boxing mentor for the Johns, is elated, calling Ali "the best boxer I've had since Gary Farneti."