House Staff To Shell Out $$$ For Distaff

Harvard and 'Cliffe live-in tutors will have to pay rent for their better halves come September, if University resources aid Dick Leahy has his way.

Leahy figures a couple dozen or so Harvard resident tutors have taken the vows. Previously, spouses could get a standard meal rate lower than regular guest rates, but rent has been gratis. Dick says room rents will start at $800 per, varying with the set-up. And where Harvard leads, sources reveal, Radcliffe will not be far behind.

A Radcliffe resident tutor pouted yesterday that while married tutors will now have to pay for their spouses, single ones will still get their extracurricular affairs on the cuff.

Ernie May objected. "It is not intended to discourage tutors," he said. "The reasons are purely economic. The amount that the tutors don't pay comes out of student room rents, which we are trying to keep as low as possible."

Radcliffe proxy Mary "Polly" Bunting said the expense of providing resident staff accounted for most of Radcliffe's notorious deficit. But she had a suggestion: "What might be the best plan would be to find University jobs for both members of the couple !"