Lights Sweep to Second Straight Victory; Outdistance M. I. T. and Dartmouth Eights

By Richard K. Sontgerath

Steve Gladstone's lightweight crew turned in another superb performance Saturday as they easily handled a strong M. I. T. eight on the Charles. The lights covered the wind-swept course in 6:14.8, 11 seconds ahead of the Engineers and more than five lengths in front of an outclassed Dartmouth boat.

Tech did well to stay with the extremely quick starting Crimson boat for the first 500 meters. However. Harvard, rowing at 34 strokes per minute had pulled to more than a boat length's lead by the 1000 meter mark. Opening up to 36 strokes for the final sprint? placed the Crimson a solid four lengths ahead at the finish.

Coach Gladstone seemed quite pleased with the victory which gave the lights their seventh consecutive Biglin Bowl. "All in all I feel that we turned in a solid effort. It's hard to row a really good race in this kind of w????? with such strong cross winds and currents."

In other lightweight action at the Basin Saturday, Harvard's J. V. lights also registered their second consecutive victory by besting M. I. T.'s J. V. eight.

Saturday's closest race was provided by a four's competition which featured Harvard's and M. I. T.'s lights and heavies from Harvard, Rutgers and Brown, Harvard's lights, with Ken Innes at cox and Frank O'Leary. Pete Whate Paul Giarra and Al Fine at one through four, narrowly nosed out Harvard's heavies for the victory.