Golfers to Face Amherst, Tufts Crimson Expects Easy Competition Today

The Crimson golf team should have little trouble beating Tufts and Amherst in this afternoon's match at Stowe Acres, Tufts' home course. But after its first two performances, no one's too sure.

Captain Fred Sherman speculated after last Friday's triangular meet with Columbia and Penn that the Crimson's troubles so far this season were due to lousy weather conditions. Sherman added, "We really need to sweep the Amherst. Tufts meet. We thought our team would be very good before the season started, but now we've begun to wonder."

If the Harvard linksmen, 1-2 for the year, want to improve their record, today's play should provide ample opportunity. Although both Amherst and Tufts have an adequate group of golfers, neither should be able to overcome the Harvard squad.

Weak Competition

Amherst, which barely lost to the Crimson, 4-3, last year, has a 2-1 record so far, but was badly beaten by Yale last week. The Lord Jeffs are led by what coach Tracy Mehr calls his "three primary performers" -Dom Valiunus, David Marx, and Chip Gordon. Mehr didn't exude any confidence as he said, "We're just hoping Harvard doesn't bomb us out there."

Tufts, which lost to Harvard 7-0 in last season's contest, was discounted by Sherman. "Tufts shouldn't be much. They never have anything."

The Crimson lineup will be identical to that in the Penn, Columbia match, with sophomore Andy Marks once again filling in for Cooch Owen, Owen, who finally returned from Florida three days ago, may possibly play in Friday's meet.

Commenting yesterday that he was in the "golfing doghouse" for missing the first two matches of the season, Owen weakly defended his absence, "Would you leave 80-degree temperatures and no clouds?"