Dunster Residents Approve The Peoples' Peace Treaty

By Jeffrey L. Baker

In a House-wide referendum concluded yesterday, students and tutors in Dunster House voted overwhelmingly to endorse "The People's Treaty."

The treaty, negotiated last December between representatives of the National Student Association and the student unions in Hanoi and Saigon, calls for the immediate and total withdrawal of all American forces from South Vietnam, and binds those who ratify it "to take whatever actions are appropriate to implement" the treaty.

One hundred seventy-five members of Dunster House signed the treaty and only nine refused to ratify the document. A similar referendum is being conducted in Adams House, and will be completed tonight.

The final terms of the treaty were agreed upon in January, and since then groups have been organizing city-wide and university-wide referenda throughout the country.

At the University of Florida, students endorsed the treaty by a 14 to 1 margin (5600 to 400). In Cambridge, the City Council failed to vote on the treaty at its April 12th meeting, but supporters of the treaty are confident that a city-wide referendum can be organized before the fall.

The treaty, which has been endorsed by Nguyen Thi Binh. chief negotiator for the National Liberation Front at the Paris Peace Talks, calls upon the U. S. to withdraw all American forces from South Vietnam, and to publicly set the date by which all American forces will be removed.

The Vietnamese pledge that as soon as the U. S. government announces the withdrawal date, they will "participate in an immediate cease-fire, and will enter discussions on the procedures to guarantee the safety of all withdrawing troops, and to secure the release of all military prisoners."

The treaty also calls for an American pledge "to end the imposition of the Thieu-Ky-Khiem regime on the people of South Vietnam in order to insure that all political prisoners are released."