Reischauer Joins New Committee Demanding Immediate End to War

Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor and former U.S. Ambassador to Japan, has joined with about 50 widely-known public figures to establish a National Council for an Indochina Deadline (NCID). The group will work for a total U.S. withdrawal from Indochina by the year's end.

"The basic thing is to get a public lobby to put pressure on Congress to get Congressmen to vote for a terminal date," Reischauer, chairman of the council, said yesterday. He cited December 31, 1971, as the probable target date for total disengagement.

The council announced its plans at a news conference in Washington on Monday. Its focus will be on 100 Congressmen who are undecided about or opposed to setting a definite date for withdrawal. Reischauer said. The council hopes to swamp these Congressmen with letters from their constituents pledging to support more militant peace candidates in the 1972 elections.

NCID members, mostly Democrats, include former Attorneys General Nichol??s Katzenbach and Ramsey Clark; former Defense Secretary Clark M. Clifford; former U.N. Ambassadors Charles W. Yost and Arthur Goldberg; and Cleveland Mayor Carl Stokes.

In addition to Reischauer, council members from Harvard include Roger D. Fisher, professor of Law; Thomas C. Schelling, professor of Economics; George B. K??tiakowsky, Lawrence Professor of Chemistry; and James C. Thomson, lecturer in History. Each of the above men except Fisher has held a top-level position in one of the last three Administrations.