Day of Protest, Arrests

" Can we go a little slower. My lower left side is paralyzed. "

-veteran to the arresting officer

(Special to the CRIMSON)

WASHINGTON, D. C., April 22-Washington police today arrested 110 people on the steps of the Supreme Court for protesting a Federal injunction against their encampment which a district court tonight revoked.

District Court Judge George Hart, invalidating the injunction, criticized the demonstrators for breaking the law and the Nixon Administration for breaking it by not enforcing it. But the news was no help to the 108 veterans and two women taken into custody by police this morning.

The veterans surrendered peacefully to some 60 Metropolitan Police after waiting for nearly an hour with arms locked, singing "All We Are Saying is Rule on the War," and passing joints.

They had vowed to "stay until we're busted" after marching to the Court and finding all entrances locked. When police started their arrests, the veterans walked down the steps in single-file with hands clasped behind their heads in POW fashion.

Police took them to the Superior Court where they were charged with disorderly conduct and were each released on $10 bond.

The incident brought the number of protesters arrested in front of the Court to 124.

Seven vets and four sympathizers were arrested yesterday after they attempted to take a letter to Chief Justice Warren Burger. Another was evicted from the Court for wearing an antiwar button, and two more were arrested last night when they tried to hold a silent vigil on the steps until the Court reversed the Federal injunction barring the veterans' campsite.

The 1400 veterans now camped on the Mall have had their greatest success in their running battle with the Supreme Court.

After the group defied the Court order by sleeping on the Mall last night, an early edition of the Washington Daily News ran a banner headline proclaiming "Vets Overrule Supreme Court," Even the Washington Star, which supports Nixon's Vietnam policy, ran an editorial yesterday decrying the administration's high-handed legal maneuvers to deny the veterans their permit.

During the eviction on the Supreme Court steps, several veterans who were lobbying in the Capitol area attempted to join the demonstrators but were not allowed into the area.

Many of those arrested walked to the police buses on crutches or limping with war wounds. Police refused, however, to take one legless soldier who was sitting in the middle of the crowd. Explained Washington Police Chief Jerry V. Wilson, "No legs buys a man a lot of immunity."

Bail Blood

When news of the arrest came to the encampment, VVAW immediately began a bail fund By late afternoon, more than 100 had donated pints of blood at the Red Cross to collect the $15 donor's fee.

Demonstrators were processed before entering the buses at the Supreme Count. Police slowly frisked and booked them, then got snapshots with Polaroid "Swingers" of each standing between his arresting officers. S. W. J.