Golfers Face Big Red In Only Home Contest

The Crimson golf team has been playing a lot of strange courses in terrible weather conditions so far this spring. But this afternoon, the Harvard linksmen will finally get to play a match on their home course. The Country Club, in Brookline. Tee-off time for today's Cornell match is 1 p.m.

"The fellows are really psyched for this one. We all love to play the Brookline course. Any course like The Country Club has got to be extremely tough for anyone who hasn't played it before. Cornell is usually pretty good, but we'll have a definite home course advantage," captain Fred Sherman commented on the match.

Skip Kistner's scouting report on Cornell gives the Crimson even more reason to be confident. Kistner went to Chester, S. C., for a few days early this spring and played with some of the Cornell golfers before the rest of the Crimson arrived.

"After Burtch, they don't have much of anything at all. We should really clean up," he said.

Cornell coach George Hall, a good friend of Harvard mentor Cooney Weiland, noted yesterday that his team-which was edged by Harvard 4-3 last season-only lost two men due to graduation over the past year. He named Peter Burtch as his top performer, with Wes Stone and John Palmquist close behind. But he said the strength of his team lay in its depth, with five golfers "of about equal ability."

Chopping Strokes

Harvard's linksmen have been gradually lowering their scores as they get more practice and play in better weather. In their first outing of the season-against Navy-the Crimson totalled an atrocious 432. In each of the next two matches. Harvard chopped 27 strokes off its score, and finally got down to 378 against Tufts and Amherst.

In view of the Brookline course and an improving Harvard team, even Big Red coach Hall didn't seem to be overly optimistic about his team's chances. "Well, if your boys don't play too awfully well, we might have a little hope," he said.