Crimson Bats Bury Army

It had been a silent spring for Harvard batsmen, but the Crimson dispelled all doubt about their hitting yesterday as they pounded out 14 hits in a very satisfying 10-4 rout of the Cadets at West Point.

The victory raised the Crimson record to 14-2, and upped its Eastern League mark to 6-1. The team will be in Ithaca today for a crucial showdown with Cornell.

Harvard showed a well-balanced attack as no less than seven regulars registered base hits. Dan Demichele had two doubles while Pete Bernhard and Vince McGugan also chipped in with two-baggers.

Cushion

The Crimson provided starting pitcher Phil Collins with a three-run cushion in the first inning as McDugan singled off Army's Bill Lord. DeMichele followed with the first of his doubles, scoring McGugan. Varney then singled to bring DeMichele home, scoring himself only moments later on Pete Bernhard's base hit.

Harvard held a 4-0 lead in the fourth when Army, with the aid of some shoddy Crimson fielding, responded with four runs in the next two innings to tie the score.

It stayed that way until the seventh when the Crimson again poured three runs across to put the game on ice. Varney singled and scored on Bernhard's double. Hal Smith's base hit brought Bernhard home, and Mike Thomas did the honors for Smith with a two-out single.

Harvard scored three more in an anti-climactic ninth on three hits. Collins got the win, his fourth of the year against no losses. The senior right-hander struck out eight and walked only one in the win. He was at no time in trouble as all of Army's runs were unearned.

Muscle Against Muscle

The Cornell game features muscle against muscle as both teams have explosive attacks. Cornell has traditionally been a strong hitting team, but the Big Red has never developed a deep pitching staff to complement the scoring punch.

But this year the Big Red has a three-man pitching rotation that is dominating the League. Senior John Geise has thrown a six-hit and a four-hit shutout in his last two outings. Senior Bob Nelson struck out 13 Princeton batters in a two-hitter last weekend, and outfielder Pete Watzka has developed as the Big Red's third starter.

In its first six Eastern League games, Cornell has not used a relief??tcher. If the Big Red can continue to practice, they will be tough to bean the League. But if the Crimson ??force coach Ted Thoren to go to his ??lpen, Harvard will have uncovered ??ell's weakness.

In the four games that Corn?? has relied on its relief pitchers this?? ring, the opposition has scored 50 r?? and the Big Red has lost three o??hose four games.

"If we can get past their thr??man staff, we should be in good ??" Park said. "Their second level of??tching is not as strong as the rest the League."

Cornell's traditional batting st??gth is more than fable this year. W??ka, who plays centerfield when not ??ching, is leading the team with ??61 average and 31 RBI's in 18 games.

At shortstop the Big Red has lerman Tom Boettcher (.308) who le??he team in hitting last spring. All ??st second baseman Bob Witkowski is??so hitting over 300.