Nine Routs Cornell Twice And Leads Eastern League

By Robert W. Gerlach

The Harvard baseball team yesterday bombed the leading pitching staff in the Eastern League for 18 runs and held the leading hitting line-up to seven hits. The result was a 13-0, 5-0 humiliation of Cornell that dropped the Big Red from first to fourth in the League standings.

Navy and Princeton split a double header Saturday and knocked themselves out of first place and into a tie for second, one game behind the Crimson (8-1). Cornell and Dartmouth both lost twice this weekend to fall two and three games, respectively, off the pace.

The Crimson played a solid game at every position yesterday while no one player stood out as a star. In the first game, Bill Kelly hurled a two-hitter and Pete Varney delivered four RBI's with a homer and a double. Mike Thomas went three for three and scored four times in the rout.

In the second game, sophomore lefthander Roz Brayton scattered five hits and received strong defensive help to get him out of several Cornell rallies. Dan DeMichele broke open a close 1-0 game in the sixth with a home run and a single, and Thomas continued his hitting streak, going two for three at the plate.

The doubleheader was snowed-out Saturday after one pitch, and only the Crimson seemed ready to play yesterday. Manager Hollis McLoughlin gave much of the credit for the wins to the bench. "DcMichele and Thomas and some of the second team were going crazy cheering from the dugout," McLoughlin said.

In the nightcap, Vince McGugan opened the game with a triple and scored for a 1-0 lead that stood till the sixth. Brayton pitched himself out of jams in the third and fourth, and then he drove in two runs in the sixth to help his own cause.

The Crimson, now 16-2 for the season, will turn its attention to the greater Boston League this week with games against Brandeis and Boston University. Harvard is hoping to extend its ten game winning streak.