B-School Faculty Approves Grading, Honors Reforms

By Mark J. Welsheimer

The Business School's M. B. A. Faculty voted April 29 to replace the School's 15-interval grading system with four non-numerical grades-Excellent, Satifactory, Marginal Pass, and Unsatisfactory-as part of a broad grading reform.

The new system-one of five reforms proposed by the Joint Committee on M. B. A. Grading Policy-becomes effective September 15. The version of the reforms considered by the faculty during its last two meetings was the 13th draft completed by the Committee.

Other reforms approved by the faculty will:

give responsibility for the "maintenance and consistent application of academic standards" to the first-and Second-Year Subcommittees of the Policy and Operating Committee, and

redefine academic honors for M. B. A. students so that the designation of first-year honors is based on performance in the first year of the program, second-year honors on performance in the second year, and graduation with distinction or high distinction (Baker Scholar) on performance in both years.

In the past, graduation with distinction or high distinction was based on performance during both years, while Baker Scholar was an award based only on second-year performance. First-and second-year honors are new distinctions.

The only proposal not approved by the faculty was a text relating to academic standards and performance to be published in a manual entitled "Academic Standards and Administrative Policies and Procedures," which is distributed each fall to M. B. A. students and faculty members.

The text outlined general standards for awarding the M. B. A. degree and for performance expected of M. B. A. students by the faculty. It also asserted the faculty's obligation to give "high quality" instruction.

There was some opposition among the faculty to the first motion which provided for an after-the-fact review of grades by the First-and Second-Year Subcommittees as a check on the consistent application of academic standards.

Robert N. Anthony, professor of Management Control, presented an amendment which provided that grade averages in any course could not exceed an average established by the Second-Year Subcommittee.

Vancil called the original motion-which, as passed, provided for no procedure of enforcement-"legislated trust."