Heavies Third as Underfeated Lights Sweep

By Richard K. Sontgerath

Lights Finish With Perfect Record

The long list of superlatives used to describe Harvard's lightweight crew has nearly been exhausted, but the fact remains that coach Steve Gladstone has assembled one of the finest 150-pound crews ever.

The Crimson made Saturday's Eastern Sprint final a race for second place as it had open water on the field at the 500-meter mark, and stretched its lead to nearly four boat lengths over second-place Columbia by the finish.

Coxed by Fred Yalouris and stroked by captain Dave Harman, the shell consists of Phin Sprague, Andy Narva, Ephram King, Tony Brooks, Jim Richardson, Charlie Hewitt and Dick Moore at one through seven.

The crew's only "defeat" this year came at the hands of the IRA's board of stewards, who apparently have decided to table a motion that would have permitted the lightweight sprint champion to row at the IRA Regatta next month.

Thus, even though few doubt their ability, the Crimson lights will not be given the opportunity to prove that they can row with the best of the nation's heavies.

Harvard's J. V. lights won their division at the Sprints, outdistancing Navy by a length. They also finished the spring unbeaten, leaving Gladstone without a defeat in his three years as lightweight coach.

The J. V.'s had more trouble with their Sprint opposition than the varsity did, as they barely held off a Navy eight which had smoother water than the Crimson in a wind-protected lane near the shore of the lake.

The J. V. shell includes John Wolz, Charlie Bradshaw, Dick Rutherford, Jack Meyer, Howie Burnett, Scott Baker, Al Kleindienst and Kim Kiley at one through eight, and Jay Galeski at cox.

The Crimson freshmen completed the lightweight sweep, finishing nearly a length ahead of Penn and earning Harvard's lightweights their fourth consecutive Jope Cup. First-year coach Bo Anderson led the Yardlings to a perfect 5.0 season record.