Radcliffe Finishes Third In Seven Sisters Tennis

Led by doubles champions Dianne Straus and Linden Havemeyer, the Yale Women's tennis team won the Seven Sisters Tennis Tournament at the Palmer Dixon Indoor courts yesterday. Radcliffe finished third with four match victories.

This was the first year that Ivy League colleges participated in the tournament, and eight colleges were represented. Yale won nine matches to gain the title and defending champion Wellesley was second with six.

Radcliffe's darkhorse hopes to win the team trophy were extinguished when Claire Stuart was sidelined with a virus. Penny Moorhead and replacement Ellen Rouse were still seeded third, but lost in the first round.

Radcliffe's second doubles team of Terry Steiner and Kathy Day made it to the semi-finals before losing, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, to Brett Digna and Carla Thomas of Mt. Holyoke.

In singles, Radcliffe's top player, Meg Morgan, was seeded fourth. She was upset in the quarterfinals by Gina Rogers, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.

Joy Skon, Radcliffe's other singles player, was eliminated in the quarter-finals by third seeded Melissa Dempsey of Yale. Malo Paul of Wellesley won the singles title for the second year in a row.

Radcliffe meets Boston College for the first time in the school's history at 3:30 p. m. Tuesday at Radcliffe.