Netmen Defeat Yale, 7-2, To Tie For 2nd in EITA

The tennis team fought off a determined Yale squad on Saturday to win its season finale. 7-2, at the Soldiers' Field courts. The Crimson finished with a 7-2 record in the EITA to tie for second with Navy. two matches behind undefeated Princeton.

"It was a much tougher match than the score indicates," coach Jack Barnaby said. "Yale had a very balanced team with good doubles. and if they had managed a three-three split in singles, we would have been in trouble."

Harvard took the singles. four matches to two, but only after Peter Briggs battled back from 0-3 in the third set to beat Will Cleveland at number six, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.

Seniors Bill Washauer and Joe Cavanagh were both impressive in their final match. Washauer beat Don Tansey at first singles, 6-4, 6-2, while Cavanagh knocked off Wick Chambers at second singles, 6-2, 6-2.

Tom Loring rebounded from his loss again? Dartanouth by overwhelming Phil St. Georges, 6-1, 6-2.

Yale's two points came at third and fourth singles. At number four. Neil Allen outlasted Bill Brock in a long match. 7-6, 4-6, 6-3. At number three. Barry Svigals adjusted to Randy Barnett's serve-and-volley style of play to stage a come-from-behind victory, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Washaner and Cavanagh led the doubles sweep by beating Tansey and Chambers, 6-1, 6-3. Loring and Barnett topped Svigals and Allen, 7-5, 6-2. The third doubles was abbreviated to a pro set and Briggs and Brock defeated Cleveland and Anderson, 10-4.

Four extra singles and two extra doubles matches are played in the Harvard-Yale match, and the Crimson took the overall contest, 10-4. Jim Esserman and Howie Conant won their singles, and Esserman and Steve Kraft won at fourth doubles. The final doubles match was declared a draw.

Saturday's victory was just another episode in the famous rivalry between Barnaby and Yale coach John Skillman. They have opposed each other since 1937 in both squash and tennis and although Barnaby's first tennis victory over Skillman didn't come until 1954, the Crimson has dominated the series.