A Baseball Quiz for Reading Period Blues

Before You Go From the Frying Pan to the Fire-Take a Break

By M. TOTAL Recall dake

1. When the Senators moved, who played third base for the "new" Minnesota Twins and was always pictured in the Topps baseball cards with a huge chaw of Mail Pouch in his cheek?

2. Which New York Mets pitcher lost 18 games in a row and finished the first season for Casey Stengal's boys with a 5-24 mark?

3. In 1965, which Met ace tied the above record for most losses in a season by a New York pitcher?

4. Who is the all-time Philadelphia Phillie batting leader with a 398 average?

5. Who led the Pittsburgh Pirates in hitting last season, and what was his average within ten points?

6. Who was the proud father of his first child born at Miller Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., April 27, 1961? (He was an ace on the Twins staff at the time.)

7. Who was the first pick in 1968 by the Montreal Expos in its player draft before the club's initial season? And with what National League team was he formerly affiliated? (Mack Jones and John Bateman were the number two and three picks respectively.)

8. Only one player represented the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta. Who is he? (He is now a Braves coach.)

9. Which pitcher worked the most games for the Houston Astros last year?

10. What former Dodger lefthander was signed as a free agent by the Pardres and had a 5-6 record in 17 games in 1969 before retiring to take a job as the Padres' minor league pitching coach? He began his career in 1953 with Brooklyn.

11. What former first baseman, with the initials E.T., played behind Ted "No Sleeves" Kluszewski?

12. Oct. 1, 1961. Propelled by a shove from Hector Lopez, Roger Maris steps from the Yankee dugout to wave his cap in response to the cheers offered by a lovestruck standing-room-only crowd. Roger had just hit his 61st home run in the fourth inning off what Red Sox hurler?

13. What was the final score of that game?

14. What Yankee pitcher put it all together in 1970 to become the first New York lefty since Whitey Ford to win 20 games?

15. On June 19, 1961, what Minnesota Twin star, formerly of the White Sox, shot a 98 at the Southview Country Club in West. St. Paul, Minn.?

16. Things didn't go well for the Chicago White Sox in their last World Series against the Dodgers in 1959. In fact, a famous photo shows the Chisox rightfielder while chasing a home run, getting a shampoo from a cup of beer knocked over by a fan. Who was the player with the good ol' Hamm's in his eye?

17. Who was the versatile ex-Red Sox and Oriole star who played 126 games for the original K.C. Royals, batted .250, and saw action at second, short and third?

18. An A.L. Rookie of the Year in 1958 with the Senators, he was the first California Angel to hit over 300. He still holds the club record for bases on balls and fewest strikeouts. Who was he?

19. In the 1960 World Series against the Yankees, Bill Mazeroski won the championship for the Pirates with a seventh-game ninth-inning homer off what New York hurler?

20. Who was the player who ran around the bases backwards on his 100th career home run?

21. Who was the only player to bat over .300 for the 1962 Mets?

22. Who holds the record for the most pinch-hit home runs?

23. What team and in what year put together the only switch hitting infield in baseball history?

24. Who were the members of that fabled group?

25. Who won 20 games one year and then dropped 20 games the next?

26. Where was the first night game in the major leagues played?

27. In 1950, the Philadelphia Phillies won the pennant in a down-to-the-wire race with Los Angeles. There were three dominant pitchers for the Phils that year. Robin Roberts made three starts in the last five days of the season and won his 20th of the season on the final day against the Dodgers, who were a game out. Name one of the other two hurlers. One was a starter, the other was a relief pitcher who appeared in 74 games for the Whiz Kids and was named the league's MVP.

28. What beer is advertised under the scoreboard at New York's Shea Stadium?

29. What team was originally called the Spiders, until a newspaper contest resulted in a new name for the club in honor of Alex Sockalexis?

30. Who is Frank Luchessi?

BONUS Try to answer two out of three questions to earn the equivalent of one of the above.

a) who is the Golden Voice of the Cubs, who fills Chi-town airways with "Hey Hey!!!, that ball is out on Waveland Avenue, heading downtown."?

b) Where do the Cubbies first make their appearance onto the field and where do they leave after the game in order to reach the showers?

c) What is the name of the stop on the "L" transit in Chicago if you want to see the game at Wrigley?

ANSWERS:

1. Bill Tuttle 2. Roger Craig 3. Jack Fisher 4. Frank O'Doul '29, 398 5. Manny Sanguillen, 325 6. Camilo pascual 7. Manny Mota 8. Eddie Matthews 9. Fred Gladdings-63 10. Johnny Podres 11. Earl Torgeson 12. Tracy Stallard 13. 1-0 14. Fritz Peterson 15. Earl Battey 16. Al Smith 17. Jerry Adair 18. Albie Pearson 19. Ralph Terry 20. Jimmy Piersall 21. Richie Ashburn 22. the ol' Smokehouse 23. Los Angeles Dodgers, 1965 24. Jim Gilliam, Maury Wills, Jim Lefebvre, and Wes Parker 25. Bob Friend-Pirates 26. Crosley Field, Cincinnati, May 24, 1934 27. Curt Simmons and reliefer Jim Konstanty 28. Rheingold 29. Cleveland Indians; Alex was the first full-blooded Indian to play in the majors 30. the new manager of the Phillies (he was manager last year too, kiddies) BONUS a) Jack Brickhouse by a little door in the left field corner c) the Addison Ave. stop. Get off the CTA train, go west past Ray's Bar (it'll serve anybody, bring the kids and get them swamped before the game) one block and you're right there.