Ailing Courtmen Face Tough Navy

The tennis team travels to Annapolis today to play the last crucial match of their EITA schedule. A win against Navy would assure sole possession of second place-and if either Navy, Penn or Columbia should upset Princeton, the Crimson would climb into a tie for first.

Last year Harvard scuttled the Midshipmen, 9-0, but the addition of four strong sophomores from last year's 10-2 team has transformed Navy into an EITA contender. Navy is 14-2 for the season. The losses came in 5-4 matches against Maryland and Columbia.

"For the first time in 20 years we have a shot at beating Harvard. But we'll have to come up with a super effort to do it," Navy coach Robert Bayliss said.

Comparative scores and Crimson injuries make the match a toss-up. Navy beat Penn, 5-4, at Penn; Harvard's margin of victory was 6-3 at Penn and 5-4 at Columbia.

"We have good depth through fourth singles," Bayliss said, "but our five and six players both lost against Columbia and Penn. We'll have to take three of the top four singles to stay in the match."

Navy's Craig Dawson, a sophomore, and Bill Washaner both lost to Penn's John Adams by comparable scores, but Washaner's experience should give him an edge. Sophomore Ted Turnblacer has a good serve at number two and can play steady tennis when he has to, but it takes more than that to beat Joe Cavanagh when the chips are down.

Gordon Perry and Bob Custer, who played first and second singles for Navy last year, both scored victories against Penn and Columbia at three and four. Randy Barnett and Bill Brock will have to play well to win. Tom Loring is strong at five for the Crimson, and Peter Briggs should win at six provided he is well enough to play.

If Navy gains a three-three split in singles, Harvard will be in trouble. Harvard's doubles teams have been together for only four matches, and have yet to play under pressure.

The first doubles contest between Cavanagh-Washauer and Turnbracer-Perry should be a tossup, but Dawson and Jim Bristow are undefeated at second doubles and solid favorites over Barnett and Loring.

If the match is close, coach Barnaby may insert Dave Fish with Briggs or Brock to play against Custer and Vincent LaCava at third doubles.

"Those Midshipmen are tenacious tennis players. Winning points today is going to be like pulling wisdom teeth," Barnaby said.

"They have the best players from last year's varsity and freshman teams, and they have the home ice advantage. I'm taking Jeff Reich along because Briggs has the flu and Fish's arm may not be ready yet. It will be a close match." he added.