Antiwar Groups to Stage Protests Here

By Garrett Epps

Boston groups will stage antiwar demonstrations today and tomorrow. Today's will be a Moratorium-style rally on the Boston Common. Tomorrow morning, activists will attempt to close down the John F. Kennedy Federal Building in Government Center by nonviolent civil disobedience.

Today's Common rally is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m., but feeder marches from outlying areas will begin as early as 10:30 a.m. Cambridge demonstrators will gather at the Cambridge Common, leaving there at 12:30 p.m.

Sponsors for today's rally-which is completely legal-include the Greater Boston Peace Action Coalition, the Massachusetts Welfare Rights Organization, Americans for Democratic Action, and the People's Coalition for Peace and Justice (PCPJ). PCPJ is the sole sponsor of tomorrow's civil disobedience.

Sen. Vance Hartke (D-Ind.) is the star of today's rally speaker list. Other speakers include David Dellinger, longtime activist and Chicago Conspiracy defendant, the Rev. Anthony Mullaney, a Catholic radical and member of the "Milwaukee 14," Marcos Munoz of the United Farm Workers' Organizing Committee, Doug Hofstadter, a member of the National Student Association delegation which traveled to North and South Vietnam last winter to negotiate the People's Peace Treaty, Louise Bruyn, a Newton woman who recently walked to Washington from Boston to dramatize her protest against the war, and Arthur Johnson, a former Navy Lieutenant and member of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW).

Rock music groups will provide entertainment before and after the rally, as well as during two intermissions in the afternoon.

During the rally, members of PCPJ will begin assembling a geodesic dome on the Common to serve as a "Peace Treaty Implementation Center" during the coming summer. PCPJ spokesmen explained yesterday that the dome is intended to serve as a counterpoint to the Army Recruiting Station near Tremont St.

Members of the Nonviolent Direct Action Group (NDAG) will hold a training workshop in St. Paul's Church near Boston Common at 5 p.m. tonight for those who want to participate in the civil disobedience. An NDAG spokesman explained yesterday that those par-ticipating in the civil disobedience will attempt to block the nine entrances to the Federal Building by sitting in front of them and going limp.

Although groups are planning to move up to block areas from which other demonstrators have been cleared by police, the spokesman explained, there will be no "mobile tactics" like those employed by some demonstrators in Washington seeking to evade arrest.

Police officials said yesterday that members of the Boston Police Force-including the riot-oriented Tactical Squad-the Metropolitan District Police, and the State Capitol Police Force will be on hand to prevent any disruption of the State Capitol or the Federal Building.

National Guard officials also announced that Guardsmen would be holding "extra drills" today and tomorrow, but declined comment on what role the Guard would play in policing the demonstration. They also refused to comment on a statement by an aide to Governor Sargent that the Governor had not requested any Guard call-up.