Counsel to University Sends Dope On Drug Regulations to Students

By David F. White

The office of the General Counsel to the University has distributed to College dormitories a nine-page pamphlet on Massachusetts state and Federal drug laws.

Although the pamphlet followed shortly after two Harvard drug busts by Cambridge Police-the first two busts ever conducted by outside authorities on a College dormitory-it was not a reaction to those busts, according to Daniel Steiner '54, General Counsel to the University.

Steiner said the initiative to compile such a document began long before the busts.

"about three months ago, the Colloge Dean's office suggested that it would be a good idea to get [the pamphlet] prepared," he said. The law firm of Ropes and Gray helped prepare the pamphlet, he said.

The date of its release was determined only by the time it took to prepare the document, and by the May 1 date set for enactment of the new Federal drug law, Steiner said.

He also stated that the University was not in touch with police while preparing the report and had not released the pamphlet because it expects an increase in police activity.

The pamphlet came only as another manifestation of a "continuing concern on the part of the University," Steiner said.

The pamphlet starts with a cover letter signed by Steiner noting where counselling on drug problems can be obtained, that the University should not-and cannot-be considered a sanctuary from drug laws, and that drug laws differ from state to state, and country to country.