Netmen Rank as Favorite Eye New England Championships

After dropping a 5-4 decision to Navy and ruining all hopes for an EITA title, the tennis team returns to happier hunting grounds today. Harvard's the heavy favorite in the New England Interscholastics which start at 9 a. m. at Williams College.

Thirty colleges will be competing. Each team's top two singles players will compete in Division "A" singles, the next two in Division "B." and the fifth and sixth players in Division "C." There is a division for each of the three doubles teams.

The tournament was canceled last year by the student strike. So Harvard, which won in 1969, is the defending champion. Two years ago John Levin led the Crimson to victory by winning the Division "A" singles and doubles, playing with Rocky Jarvis.

Amherst coach Edward J. Serues, who is running the tournament, listed Williams, Dartmouth, Amherst, Brown and Wesleyan as the teams most likely to challenge Harvard. Harvard has beaten both Amherst and Brown, 8-0, this year.

The Crimson didn't look as overpowering against Williams, winning by only 6-3. Chris Warner and Pete Talbot won for Williams at first and second singles, but Bill Washauer has been playing much better tennis since then, and Joe Cavanagh has been very successful at number two.