Tricia Nixon Weds Law School Friend

Dark skies up above failed to prevent Patricia Nixon, President Nixon's 25-year-old pink-and-white daughter, from marrying 24-year-old Harvard Law student Edward Finch Cox at a well-attended White House ceremony Saturday.

The strong-willed Tricia overrode the recommendations of Henry Kissinger, national security affairs adviser, press secretary Ronald Ziegler, and her own father in giving the go-ahead to the outdoor proceedings.

"Well," the President philosophized in his never-ending search for the proverbial silver lining, "perhaps people will remember the wedding more if it rain."

Unfortunately for the memories of generations yet unborn, the 10-minute ceremony, a pastiche of various religious rites pieced together by Tricia herself, was successfully sandwiched in between the afternoon's showers.

Attempted Sophistication

According to the Washington Post, the bride "attempted a sophisticated look. She wore a sleeveless dress with a deep V neckline and had her hair pulled back under a Juliet cap."

Her wedding party included sister Julie Eisenhower as matron of honor and the bridegroom's sister, Mary Ann Cex, in the role of maid of honor.

Martha Mitchell, wife of the noted attorney general, was resplendent in a mass of apricot and white frills with a yellow umbrella and hat.

Despite the on-again, off-again nature of the event, Tricia was reported to be cool, calm, and collected. In contrast, her groom appeared to be visibly nervous when forced to take Tricia from her father.

Cox Favors Bussing

In an apparent break with tradition, Cox chose to forego the usual kiss on the lips following the vows, instead he merely bussed Miss Nixon on the cheek.

Press secretary Ronald Ziegler issued a statement later in the evening explaining, "The decision to center his attentions on the former Miss Nixon's cheek was entirely that of young Cox. The President and his family had not been consulted on the matter-and even if they had it came as a complete surprise. As you all well know, the President Himself is unalterably opposed to forced bussing."

Over 400 guests attended the event. They ranged from Ralph Nader and J. Edgar Hoover to Art Linkletter and Billy Graham.