Nassau Assistant Appointed Soccer Aide; Klein Chosen for Youth and Experience

In an attempt to settle the recent dispute within the soccer team. Elliot Klein, formerly assistant soccer coach at Nassau Community College, will join coach Bruce Munro's staff.

Klein's appointment follows in the wake of a dispute between Munro and the six junior members of the varsity team. Both Munro and the team captain Charlie Thomas said yesterday that they were happy about the appointment and optimistic about next year's team.

Klein, who was hired because of his youth (27) and his experience as an assistant coach, is well aware of the challenges of his situation next fall. "When I applied for the job I knew it would be a tenuous position," Klein said. "I realize I will have to act as a mediator, but I am not going in with any set philosophy. My philosophy is that you can not judge a situation until you are caught in the immediate circumstances."

In his letter of recommendation. Nassau coach William Stevenson said Klein had filled a difficult position "without creating any power struggles." Klein was forced to leave because of a budget cutback.

At Nassau, Klein's chief responsibilities were directing the defense, scouting the opposition, and developing overall game strategies. But his main interest is in conditioning and technical drills.

"I'm a fundamentalist," Klein said. "When the level of competition is exceptional, I feel the ultimate victor depends on conditioning. The body will respond beyond anyone's belief of its capabilities if the desire is there."

Klein was nominated for the position by goalie Shep Messing, who worked with him for a year at Nassau. Competing with Klein for the job were freshman coach Dana Getchell and Christos Kouvlackas, a young Boston professional.

Kouvlackas had to withdraw his nomination because his professional team would not permit the time commitment. Munro also wished to keep Getchell as freshman coach, a position in which he has trained many outstanding varsity players.

Thomas emphasized his optimism about next fall. "I have met with Munro three times this spring and he has shown that he has no chips on his shoulder." Thomas said. "This should be a perfect working situation."

There is some misunderstanding, though, about whether the team will hold a fall training camp. Last year, Sol Gomez missed the camp and by September leadership factions were forming. Munro said yesterday that there would definitely be no camp.

But Albert Gordon, director of the Harvard College Fund, has offered to pay for the camp if all the players agree to come. As of yesterday, only two of five players had promised to attend, so the camp seems unlikely.