Crimson Swimmers Take Easy Win, Sink Brown in 78-35 Trouncing

It was some kind of evening at the LAB pool last night as the Crimson team hosted Brown in what was billed as a swimming meet, but quickly turned into a comical performance by both squads. The final score, which mattered little, was 78-35, Harvard, but it really wasn't that close.

Harvard, jumping off to a quick 15-1 lead after two events, soon stretched that lead to 23-2 (which Crimson fans will remember, if they remember anything about the sports page at all).

The crowd, estimated at 25, including a crying baby and an assorted freak or two, went wild in anticipation of the next event, the 50 yd. free style. And, much to Brown's delight, they took first--one of two--in the only close race of the evening, as Crimson Co-captain Paul Horvitz was touched out.

Brown Closes Gap

The excitement continued as Brown closed to within 23 points, as a Bruin second in the 200 yd. individual medley brought the score to 33-10.

From this point on, no one seemed to know the score, and no one really cared if the guy who usually does the scoring forgot tonight.

The competition, which proved to be one of the comic highlights of the meet. saw the Harvard divers Wallace, Silver, and Zokotnik, totally outclass the Bruins.

The rout was understandable since the Brown divers practice under fairly adverse conditions in Providence, where a low ceiling, a small pool, and inadequate lighting make it difficult to dive or swim well.

In any case, the Brown divers looked, at times, like stiffs in concrete being dumped into the East River.

After the diving, which brought most of the crowd to its feet, probably to stretch or yawn a bit, the meet took yet another bizarre turn. Fred Mitchell, the sophomore sensation, resting up for a big effort in the 100 yd. freestyle took the starting blocks, and proceeded to false start twice. Rather puzzled, he took the blocks for a third time, only to realize that he had been disqualified.

"I thought they were going to let me keep swimming," Mitchell said, non-plussed by the whole affair.