Nixon Consoles Loser Shula; President's Play Nets Loss

NEW ORLEANS, La.--"Uh, hello. Don? Coach Shula? Yes, uh yes Don, this is the President." "Who?" "Uh, the President." "Oh." Click.

Thus Miami Dolphin head coach Don Shula, agonizing over his team's 24-3 defeat at the hands of pro football's premier chokers, the Dallas Cowboys, abruptly ended a consolation call from his White House mentor here yesterday.

Nixon, calling from the Florida White House, sought to comfort Shula, who despite his determination not to use the President's suggested play against the Cowboys, had seen quarterback Bob Griese attempt Mr. Nixon's down-and-in to Paul Warfield six times without success.

The President, miffed at Shula's reluctance to discuss his second consecutive telephone jinxing of The Chosen Team, later decided to place a call to Cowboy coach Tom Landry.

Landry, apprehensive about future repercussions for his own team, twice refused the President's call, collect. However, after the Justice Department warned Landry of possible prosecution for endangering the national security, he, like the nation, accepted Mr. Nixon's third attempt with reservations.

"The clincher," Landry said unemotionally, "was when Mrs. Attorney General Mitchell called to inform me of my rights."

Landry, who already had assistance from evangelist Billy Graham and talkative running back Duane "Evidently" Thomas, noted that Mr. Nixon had the most praise for the offensive line in a conversation he said was "pretty one-sided."