Sanctuary Hotline, Counseling Opens In New Location

Sanctuary, the hostel and counseling service for Cambridge street people whose headquarters at 74 Mt. Auburn St. suffered extensive damage from a two-alarm fire last Saturday, is now taking steps to re-establish their operations.

Sanctuary has secured space in the Old Cambridge Baptist Church to carry on their counseling program. They have also reopened their hotline, and plans to find a new location for a hostel are now underway.

"We're hoping that we will be able to reopen within two or three months." John R. Marquand, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Dudley House and chairman of the board of Sanctuary, said yesterday.

"The University has been very helpful in our search for a new place for a hostel, and we're looking for their continued support in the future." Marquand added.

Club

The Mt. Auburn St. headquarters of Sanctuary is a University-owned building and the former home of the Iroquois Club. At present, the University has no definite plans for renovating the site.

"Obviously we can't leave it the way it is," Henry H. Cutler '29, University Real Estate Manager, said yesterday. "Right now we're trying to get together figures and costs. Whether we will restore it as is or make other plans. I just don't have enough figures to tell yet."

"Certainly we want the building restored," Cutler added. "If Sanctuary wants back in, I see no reason why they can't get back in."