Expanding Gymnastics Group Searches for Room to Tumble

The Harvard Gymnastics Club may have one of its best seasons in recent history this year, even though they will probably lose most of their meets and fail to qualify for the New England championships.

Robert B. WATS 37, director of Athletics, said Tuesday that the Athletics Department will make a "concerned effort" to open the gym room and adjoining basketball court in Hemenway Gymnasium more often for sorely needed club workouts.

Already a record 61 persons have enrolled in the Department's gymnastic enrolled in the Department's gymnastic class and about 15 of them are interested in intercollegiate competition.

Coach Richard DelGallo supervises only two out of three practices a week, $500 a year, also coaches in the Newton school district.

"The club needs more time to practice and a fulltime coach, "DelGallo said last week. "There's lost of interest, but I'm afraid I won't be able to give all 61 people enough individual attention. There will be dropouts and dissatisfied people,"

Some of the 61 enrollees have prior gymnastic experience and will compete in a dual meet against Lowell Tech on November 14.

"That's less than ten practices to get a team together with polished routines," DelGallo said. "You can't make a competitive team with our kind of practice schedule.

Waston said funds are not available to hire a fulltime coach or to pay DelGallo to work more hours. "If money were no object, there'd be no problem," he said.

"If the coach is willing to donate his time, the club can have more time to practice," Watson added.

He said negotiations may be started with Law School sports representatives to reserve the main floor at Hemenway gym, "We own the building and our programs take priority. We'll have to see how much the Law School intramural sports people are willing to give up for our gymnasts, "he said.

"I honestly think we can work this out quickly. Gymnastics is a marvelous sport and those at Harvard who want to pursue this should have the opportunity." Watson said.