Columbia Win Takes Toll On Harvard; Golden, Mayberg Out; Others Hobbled

By Peter A. Landry

For Jon Restic the weekend following Saturday's defeat of Columbia was a west. At least until yesterday morning when he received the injury report from trainer Jack Fadden.

The cliff-hanger win over the Lions in the jungles of New York's West Side did not come without a prior. Harvard and Columbia smashed hands for four solid quarters, and, when the dust had settled, Restic's troops were a pretty banged-up lot. No less than 14 Harvard squad members came up with Jumps and bruises in the brawl and reported for treatment on Sunday. Most of the injured will miss some action in this week's practice preparation for the Cornell invasion this weekend, but isn't yet known how many will miss the Big Red contest itself.

"We really look a beating physically," Restic said yesterday, as he prepared to go over the game films with his quarter back corps. "That was one hard-hitting football game. Most of our boys will work this week, but we just won't know about them until inter on."

The Crimson starting units were hit hard by injuries. Defensive adjuster Steve Golden heads the list of walking wounded, with a neck injury sustained while tacking Columbia fullback Rick Assaf. Golden, who earned his keep Saturday by clobbering standout Lion receiver Jesse Parks every time he came off the line from scrimmage, will not practice this week and will probably not play against Cornell.

The loss of Golden, who earlier this year missed the B.U. game with injured knee ligaments, is a setback to the defensive secondary, who had a good day stopping the vaunted Columbia serial game last week.

Joining Golden on the injured-inactive list, is fullback Marc Mayberg who hurt tendons and ligaments in his ankle. Mayberg's chances of practicing this week are slim, as is the likelihood of his playing against Cornell.

Center Steve Snavely also banged up his ankle in the first quarter Saturday, and had to leave the game. Snavely had originally injured the ankle in practice last week and now become a "day-to-day" case regarding his availability for Council.

Offensive tackle Monte Bowens, another key performer in Restic's not-so-deep offensive line also had to come out of the Columbia game after re-injuring his back. Bowens has been bothered off and on with back troubles all season.

One three year defensive starter, tackle Ed Vena, who set up the Crimson's first score with a 20-yard return of a fumble in the second quarter, is also hurting. Vena hanged up an ankle and is expected to go easy on it for a couple days.

Linebacker Mark Ferguson will miss three days' work this week with a hyperextended wrist. Ferguson is not expected to miss Saturday's game, however.

Further along the injury line, two who did not make the trip to Columbia. All-Ivy defensive and Mitch Berger and starting guard Bob Kircher, are still undergoing treatment. Berger has regained full movement in his knee, and has been working constantly with weights to get his strength back. Berger is waiting for the green light from Fadden and hopes to be able to try the knee out this week in practice to see how it holds up. Fadden has not reached a decision on Berger yet, but Restic cautioned on Monday not "to count Mitch out."

Kircher had been a surprise omission on the travel list for the Columbia game. Restic said yesterday that the reason he didn't make the trip was a flare-up of an old high school neck injury that hindered his movement. Kircher is expected to see some work this week.

On the positive side. Restic was pleased with the Crimson's defense in Saturday's contest, especially in the secondary. Harvard's defensive backs, virtually nullified the effectiveness of Parks and, helped along by the unscheduled departure of Jackson. Harvard look the punch of the Columbia passing game.

"We really took a beating physically" -Restic