Radcliffe Takes Field Hockey Opener

Team Downs Northeastern, 3-2

The Radcliffe field hockey team came from behind yesterday to win its season opener against Northeastern, 3-2. In an exciting game, the squad overcame a one-goal halftime deficit to score twice in a dramatic second half.

The first 'Cliffe goal came in the opening minutes of the game. Hilary Walker put the ball behind the Northeastern goalie, to give Radcliffe a quick one-goal lead.

Northeastern came back, however, to score two and take a one-goal lead by halftime. These were the only two goals to get by 'Cliffe goalie, Barbie Matson, however. Matson made some 'heroic' saves during the game, primarily during the second half.

Team Effort

The second score by Radcliffe came on a great team effort with Sally Foster finally netting the ball. The game-winning goal was scored by Ann Ballen.

It was a big win for Radcliffe not only because it was the first game of the season, but also because it came against a tough Northeastern team which had already played and beaten Pine Manor, another good team.

The difference, Claire Stuart '74, said yesterday, between this year's team and last year's, is the teamwork. "The team is really together this year, and we won because of it," she said. This teamwork and a great spirit and will to win paid off in the first game, and will make the 'Cliffe field hockey team a tough one to beat this year.

The Radcliffe second team did not fare as well yesterday. They lost to Northeastern's J.V. squad, 2-1, Liz Prelinger scored the lone goal for Radcliffe.

Northeastern apparently used their first string goalie on the second team. This made scoring that much harder for the Radcliffe J.V.'s.

In the Radcliffe goal, Mary Meager made her debut with the team. She played an excellent game and came up with some great saves. Unfortunately, her counterpart from Northeastern was a more experienced player, who stymied the 'Cliffe offense.