Reds Top Athletics With Rally in Ninth To Win Squeaker

The Cincinnati Reds snuck by the Oakland Athletics yesterday with one-run rallies in the eighth and ninth innings. The victory put the series score at 3-2 in favor of Oakland and set the scene for a crucial game Saturday in Cincinnati.

The tense game ended when Cincinnati second baseman Joe Morgan fired home to nail Oakland's 'Blue Moon' Odom who had tagged up on a foul pop.

Hustling Pete Rose provided two crucial RBIs for the Reds with a first-pitch-of-the-game homer off Oakland starter Jim 'Catfish' Hunter and with a clutch ninth-inning single.

Oakland's Gene Tenace, the surprise of the Series, boomed his fourth homerun of the five games in the second inning, to put the Athletics ahead 3-1. Tenace's four-bagger tied a record for most homeruns in a World Series, shared by Duke Snider, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Hank Bauer.

Cincinnati took over the lead from Oakland in the final inning when Pete Rose lined a single into center to send Cesar Geronimo home.

The stage was then set for the bottom half of the ninth. Home run threat Tenace drew a lead off walk and was soon replaced by pinch-runner Odom. Ted Kubiak popped up tempting to advance the runner with a bunt. Pinch hitter Dave Duncan drilled a single down the left field line, and Odom streaked to third. On a low pitch shortstop Bert Campaneris popped up behind first base. Joe Morgan called off first baseman Tony Ferez, pulled in the ball, and threw a sizzler to catcher Johnny Bench, who tagged out the sliding Odom.