Harriers Paint Big Green Red, 16-45

The victories keep rolling in

By E. J. Dionne

The victories just keep rolling in for the Harvard cross country team. The harriers breezed past Dartmouth yesterday 16-45, to past their eighth consecutive victory. They've yet to lose one.

It was a beautiful day for running at Franklin Park and the Harvard squad took it easy. "We didn't set out to destroy them," said March Jones, who added that records might have fallen had the perfect running condition gone together with a clutch meet.

Yesterday's wasn't a clutch meet, and it turned out pretty well as expected. Ric Rojas again took first place, this time in 26:17. Freshman Bill Durrette finished second. He was clocked at 26:44.

Rojas and Durrette pulled away from the rest of the pack at the two-mile mark, and maintained a 10-20 yard lead as they glided along for the rest of the race Rojas gradually pulled away from Durrette as the running progressed.

Harvard's Andy Campbell finished third in 26:58 and captain John Quirk was fourth in 27:01.

Dartmouth placed its first man, senior Bob Varsha, three seconds behind Quirk, and Jones rounded out the scoring for Harvard with a sixth place finish in 27:13.

Harvard's Jimmy Hughes was seventh, and the Big Green's Andy Walker was eighth.

The Top seven contenders in yesterday's race will be eligible to run in the Greater Boston Championships next week. In the race for the seventh spot, sophomore Jimmy Keefe edged fresh Carl Tsiginis by three seconds. Keefe finished tenth in the race, while Tsiginis took eleventh.

In the JV race - who appear to be headed for an undefeated season - Harvard's freshmen won their ninth in a row, defeating the Big Green 20-44. They haven't lost yet either.