Registration

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I was deeply disturbed by Thomas Rozinski's letter (2/22/83) in which he opposed the compensation by Harvard of students who lose federal aid because they refuse to register for the draft. Mr. Rozinski's principal objection seemed to be that he would either pay more tuition or receive less financial aid as a result of the additional aid for non-registrants. While this may be a correct prediction, I hope Mr. Rozinski will look beyond his personal situation to consider the broader issue: is it fair to deprive a non-registrant of a college education because he or his parents cannot afford to pay college costs alone?

Mr. Rozinski is correct that replacing non-registrants federal aid may affect him. Indeed, we may all indirectly pay if Harvard replaces non-registrants federal aid. However, the issue is not so narrow as Mr. Rozinski's concerns.

In focusing on his own sufferings, Mr. Rozinski has glossed over the fundamental inequity created by President Reagan's attempt to enforce draft registration. In my view, this law is yet another example of President Reagan's injustice to the poor. He has, in effect, pushed through legislation that punishes only those non-registrants who are poor. These students must not only risk prosecution but also a reduction in financial aid that could force them to leave school. More wealthy non-registrants, however, can continue college unless they are convicted and sentenced to prison.

Although I cannot condone defying the law. I will not tolerate discrimination against poorer non-registrants. Even in prisons, poor and rich convicts alike are offered the chance to participate in educational programs. If Congress will not repeal this discriminatory link between registration and financial aid. I believe Harvard must do everything it can to protect poorer non-registrants from discrimination. As an institution committed to educating good students regardless of their ability to pay, Harvard must replace the federal aid lost by non-registrants. If this means my tuition must rise. I am willing to pay the difference to prevent injustice. Michael Zachs '86