Varsity Booters Meet Alumni In Tune-up For Ivy Opener

By Charles B. Straus

Concentrating exclusively on preparations for next Saturday's Ivy League opener at Columbia, the Harvard soccer team takes a traditional breather this morning when it hosts the Alumni at .30 on the Business School Field.

The Alumni game, tenth in a series doting to 1962, always attracts a fine group of former Crimson stars, and this year is no exception. Thirty-one names are listed as probable returnees including former All-American forward Phil Kydes, fullback Bob Woods '72 and fullback John Gordon '70. It is rumored that another former All-American. 1972 Olympic goalie Shep Messing, may play.

Prominent among the other alumni are 1970 Captain Solomon Gomez and goalie Bill Meyers '71. The oldest alumnus in the group is Dr. Ward Stingerland '44.

"The Alumni game is not a tough game from the point of view of competition, but it is fun for people to come back," assistant coach Seamus Malin, who has played in every previous Alumni game, said yesterday. He said, however, that he thought coach Bruce Munro would "give the varsity a good run," and that the first team would play at least a half.

Position Changes

The first unit that does play this morning against the Alumni may have some people in new positions. Chris Papaganis, who has been at right wing for two seasons, will probably see some action at right inside. He played the position in an intrasquad scrimmage earlier in the week and responded with three quick goals.

Newcomer Beat Hinze, who has three goals and a number of assists thus for this season, may continue in his new role of a feeder behind the offensive line, and playing defense when needed. Hinze worked well in his new assignment in the second half of the Williams game, setting up both of the final two scores.

While the Crimson is having fun, the rest of the Ivy League teams will begin head to head confrontations. The biggest game will be in Providence where defending Ivy champion Penn meets a very strong Brown team.