Crimson Hopes to Save Face Since Ivy Title Is Improbable

By Peter A. Landry

Harvard, whose upset loss to Princeton last weekend virtually destroyed any chance the Crimson might have had lot a piece of the Ivy football title yesterday began plotting the salvage operation for the remainder of the season.

The Crimson will face Brown and Yale on the final two weekends of the season, and while an Ivy title is still mathematically possible in this year's bizzarre race, the remainder of the season will be geared toward saving face. Having blown chances to take firm possession of first place on three successive weekends (Dartmouth, Pean, and Princeton) and having dropped from second to fifth in the Ivy standings after last weekend's embarrassment, the Crimson squad must set its eyes on winning its last two ball games and let the rest of the League take care of itself.

For Harvard there were no bright spots in Saturday's loss--unless one considers the aesthetics of watching Tiger alums wave white hankies a bright spot. The Crimson offense generated virtually no attack, and the defense was overwhelmed as Princeton ran wild from tackle to tackle.

Harvard was crippled offensively by injuries in the offensive line and could do very little in terms of innovation for the Princeton game. "We had the smallest play list for the game that we have had since I've been here," Restic said yesterday. "With all those people out in the offensive line, we just couldn't do anything now."

The offensive line, a major headache for Restic since the third week of the season, received another blow yesterday when it was learned that junior tackle Monte Bowens re-injured his back against Princeton. Restic said that Bowen's back bothers him when he bends over, which, for an offensive lineman, is a distinct inconvenience. Bowens is not expected to play in the Brown game.

Along with the problems of the offensive line, Restic underscored Harvard's inability to make the big play as reason for the Saturday loss. "We didn't generate any offense until the third quarter when Mill Holt came in," the coach said. "We couldn't sustain any movement down the field."