THE AFTERMATH

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson

"The humiliation of George McGovern at the polls November 7 1972 was one of the greatest tragedies in American history the Senator was not a vain man. He always spoke of himself as a symbol of respect for human life throughout the world and justice in America. He "consistently saw himself as subordinate to the great cause for which he tought.

The American people lost dearly last Tuesday. We can no longer blame the sat on the government, nor can we blame the politicians for the social inequities in America. The American people finally pushed the lever which sanctioned the was out country has moved in the past several years giving particular countenance to the Indo-Chinese Wars.

There are still many of us who loved our country so much that we wanted to bring back the ideals of human dignify and compassion which were once part of our national purpose While Nikon spoke of new weapons George McGovern spoke of the need for new schools and hospitals while Nixon scorned the poor and exconated the welfare cheats who are less than 1/2 of I per cent of those on welfare. George McGovern exposed the Corporation Cheats who often find enough loopholes to avoid paying any taxes, and further pointed out that corporations now pay only 23 per cent of the taxes in American compared with 30 per cent in 1969.

Moreover Nixon played upon the basest human emotions when we stirred Americans against busing and amnesty. He distracted us from the real issues with which George McGovern tried to deal, liberty, equality, and the pursuit of happiness for all Americans. In essence, Nixon turned Americans against their own interests.

Now we only hope that those of us who know right from wrong will continue to year our McGovern buttons and display our bumper stickers symbolizing those ideals for which McGovern stands." Joel Alpert