JV Booters Lose to B.U. In Final Overtime Period

Plagued by key injuries and a controversial call, the JV booters dropped a disappointing 2-1 decision to the Boston University JV on a misuse by goalie Peter Zurchow in the second overtime period.

The Crimson began play with a strong offense that kept the ball in B.U. territory for most of the first half. Two Harvard shots on goal narrowly missed, hitting the crossbar and bouncing away.

The momentum didn't stay with the Harvard footballers, though, as a defensive foul-up between fullback Prank Gerald and Zurchow allowed a fluke goal and a change in the tempo of the game.

Gerald was defending against a B.U. last break and seemed to have the situation well under control. Zurchow came out of the goal and called for the ball. Unfortunately, he wasn't expecting Gerald to respond so quickly, and the ball blew by him into the goal unassisted by anyone on the Terrier offense.

The Terriers did not take advantage of the obvious lag in the Crimson defense after the goal, and took a scant 1-0 margin into the halftime break.

"We were outplaying them all the way in the first half," said Harvard coach Chris Wilmot after the game.

Harvard regained the offensive at the start of the second half. Sparked by the inspired shutout performance of back-up goalie Ben Bryan, the Crimson bootmen again narrowly missed tallying as two strikes destined for the goal nipped the crossbar and bounded away.

The bootmen finally got on the board with 7:20 left in the game as left inside Fred Weiss managed to put a shot by the B.U. act protector and the crossbar failed to back the goalie up.

But the Crimson's fortune didn't last long as the star linkman Art Fadin sustained a concussion going up for a head ball and halfback Harry Dotson was rejected from the game for attacking a B.U. player with his fists.

This left Harvard with no replacements, and even some of the players in the game playing unfamiliar position. Wilmot pointed to the loss of the two halfbacks as key become the linkmen serve as the coordinates for the whole team.

The Crimson managed to held on to the 1-1 tie in regulation play and went into the first five-minute overtime period playing scrappy soccer, but containing B.U. nevertheless.

Zurchow went back into the goal in the second and final overtime period after a scoreless first overtime period.

The Terriers, seeing the Crimson forces depleted and disarrayed, began to control the ball with a noticeably fired-up attack. But the Crimson held on until finally even the referees didn't see things their way.

Fullback Steve Mead had fallen running back to cover a B.U. surge, and a Terrier insider fell over him. The referee-called this a tripping offense by Mead and awarded B.U. a penalty kick.

The kick was straight on, Zurchow dropped to his knee for some reason, and the ball flew over his right shoulder to hand the men from lower Massachusetts Avenue a 2-1 victory.

Wilmot said he felt that the Crimson outplayed the visitors all the way and regretted that "we just didn't take the shots when we had them."

Finley Fined

Charles O. Finley, unpredictable owner of the world champion Oakland Athletics, was hit with a whopping $2500 fine yesterday for rewarding three of his players with bonuses during the World Series.

Commissioner Bowie Kuhn fined Finley for violating the baseball law which prohibits bonuses or incentive payments during the Series.

The fine does not reverse Finley's decision to give $5000 to catcher Gene Tenace, hero of the Series, as well as to outfielder Joe Rudi and first baseman Mike Hegan.