Full Page Ads and Peaceful, Serious Protest

SOVIET POLICY:

By Steven Luxenberg

Harvard professors seem determined to keep The New York Times in business.

In this week's Tuesday edition of The Times, 115 Harvard academicians joined colleagues from 146 of the nation's colleges in a two-page advertisement tapp cost: $20,000 -- the third time in recent weeks that Harvard professors have contributed to the paper's advertising revenue.

The ad -- signed by the Academic Committee on Soviet Jewry -- protested the Soviet Union's emigration policy. The ad claimed that the Soviet decree which imposes "head taxes on all educated citizens seeking to leave the country" prevents Jews from re-uniting with their families in Israel.

The Harvard professors did not stand alone in their criticism of Soviet policies. Members of the Harvard community organized two pickets this week to protest a visit by Dr. Mstislav V. Keldysh president of the Soviet Academy of Sciences.

Twenty five students met Keldysh and an encourage of Soviet scientists as they arrived at President Bok's house for dinner on Monday night.

One of the demonstrators taped a leaflet, printed in Russian, on each limousine as it drove up to the house.

After the scientists had entered the house. Bok came out to thank the demonstrators for picketing "in a peaceful and serious manner."

Four Harvard professors joined students at a rally the following day to continue the protest against Keldysh and the alleged anti-Jewish decree. George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology, criticized the head tax decree as a "ransom" educated persons must pay so they can emigrate.

A crowd of 150 stood in the rain or the steps of Mem Church to hear speeches by Wald, Rabbi Ben Zion Gold of Hillel House, and Chayin Spivakovaky, a Russian Jew imprisoned by the Soviet government for six years.