Group Denounces Method Of ACSR Student Choice

Students in Adams, Kirkland and South Houses have formed an ad hoc committee to protest the manner in which undergraduates would be appointed to the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR).

The group, comprising approximately 20 members, plans to petition against a plan published on October 11 by which Dean Whitlock would interview students nominated by the Houses, then appoint two to the committee.

The group, the "Harvard-Radcliffe Lobby," proposes that each House elect two prospective committee members and that from a ballot of 28 candidates, the student body vote to select the two advisory committee members.

The group also suggests that each candidate publish a position paper prior to the election.

The 15-member ACSR is to include five Faculty members, five alumni, and five students, two of whom are to be undergraduates.

The ACSR proposal was announced by President Bok on October 10. It is being formed to advise the Committee on Corporate Responsibility on shareholder resolutions.

On Wednesday five students from the lobby group met with Whitlock and President Bok.

It is now somewhat unclear how the students are to be chosen, group member Roger L. Castick '73 said last night. "It might either be by Whitlock the Committee on Student and Community Relations of by a student wide election."

"It doesn't make much sense for the University to choose the committees members if it wants to get the views of all students," Carrick said.

President Bok said last night, "I do not anticipate a system of student representation in the college when students are hand-picked by me or another member of the Administration."

Bok maintained however that a student-wide election is often a popularity contest, that not many students vote and that those who do know few of the candidates running.

Carrick claimed yesterday that Whitlock had promised the group a decision on the manner of undergraduate selection to the Committee within ten days.

Whitlock was not available for comment yesterday.

"The Committee itself is powerless The Only advantage of having students on it is to publicize what is going on," Carrick commented.