Thinclads Face Eagles Today

By E.j. Dionne

The Harvard-Boston College track meet isn't known for its drama. Last year, Harvard beat the Eagles, 80-38. This year, the Eagles could be a little tougher.

The Crimson meets B.C. at 6 p.m. tonight at the Bubble, and while Harvard goes in as a favorite, no one expects the contest to be another B.U. extravaganza.

"It will be a lot tougher meet than we've normally had with them in the past," assistant coach. Ed Stowell affirmed last night. "They are much stronger than B.U."

The Crimson expects a continuation of the impressive support it has received so far from the field events contingent. Against Army, the field men won 38 out of a possible 54 points. In addition, Jay Hughes had the best 35-pound weight throw of his career at 59 ft. 1 in. And shot putter Bob Shaw had his best career throw at 48 ft. 7 1/4 in., finishing second. In addition, pole vaulter Blaine Heckel broke 15 feet for the first time in his career.

B.C. high jumper Bill MacLoon poses a clear and present danger to Harvard's Bill Bihrle and Fred Lang. He has cleared 6 ft. 6 in., equaling Bihrle's best.

Another Eagle threat is Bob McDonald. He won the GBC mile last year, and has been running in the 4:07-4:08 range. Harvard co-captain John Quirk, who finished second to McDonald in the GBC's has yet to approach that time this year, but he has yet to receive as serious a challenge as McDonald will pose today. Given competition, Quirk should run his best time so far.

In the 600 and 1000, B.C. could run a close race. Nick Leone should take the 600, but the 1000 might be another question.

"We expect to be pretty much at full strength," Stowell said, "but we may not be able to use Clayton in the 100. His ankle is still questionable."

"It could be a walkaway," Stowell added, "but B.C.'s coach feels confident he can give us competition in every event."