Cal State Poly Whips Grapplers, 39-6

Starr Only Winner

California State Polytech of San Luis Obispo massacred the Crimson wrestling team last night by a score of 286.

This was Harvard's fourth loss of the season, but Cal State Poly is ranked fourth in the nation in the NCAA small college division. The Mustangs have been NCAA Small College champions for the past five years, and Harvard expected to lose to them.

"It could have been a lot worse," said Crimson coach John Lee "We wrestled better than we have in the last few matches, and I thought we were in better condition them they were. Our kids aren't going to get any better competition, and this was a great experience for them. We were also lucky not to get any more injured," he added.

The high sport for Harvard was in the 190 lb. weight class, Richie Starr planned Frank Zachary in less than two minutes for Harvard's only points. Cal's regular man in this class, Keith Leland was injured, and Cal had to use their manager against Starr.

The Mustangs overpowered Harvard in the middle weight classes. In the 150-lb, class, Glen Anderson pinned Harvard's Mike Doe in the middle of the second period. Anderson was 142-lb, champ in the 192 Small College Nationals.

Cal State Poly wrapped up the match mathematically when Al Cooke pinned Rock Hinkel in the first minute of their match in the 158-lb, class. That made the score 27-0, Pat Farner pinned John Keough of Harvard in the 167-lb, class for Cal's other six pointer.

Pleased

Don Blakinger, who was undefeated for the Crimson so far this season, lost a close match in the 118-lb, division. Cal coach Vaugha Hitchcock said be was especially pleased with Glen Maxon's win in this bout, because Blakinger is such a good wrestler. Maxon was third in the AAU Nationals in 1971.

Other close matches were Paul Dowling in the heavyweight division, who lost to Fred Steward because of riding time, and Jim Strathmeyer in the 177-lb, class.

In other matches, Bill Haley lost to Gary McBridge in the 126-lb, class, and Mitch Silverman lost to Tom Wassum in the 134-lb, class.

Harvard still has several top players injured. "It's discouraging that if all our eligible kids could wrestle we'd be a frontrunner in the Ivy League. I'm still hopeful, though," Lee said. Harvard is now 0-4, and 0-1 in the Ivy League Cal Poly is 6-0.

The Crimson faces Columbia and Rhode Island tomorrow night and Lee said that Harvard should have a chance to win this match. He added that if Harvard can do well in its remaining Ivy League matches it could make up for an earlier loss to Cornell.