Racquetmen Trounce Army, Gain Fourth Straight Victory

Harvard's squash team trounced Army, 9-0. Saturday, winning all of the individual matches by either 3-0 or 3-1 scores.

It was the fourth straight shutout victory for the defending Ivy and NCAA champs. Despite the lopsided score, coach Jack Barnaby said that the match was "our toughest match of the season."

"We had to work hard, because Army was considerably better than any of the teams we've played." Barnaby said. "Army hardly lost any games to MIT, and we didn't know how serious a challenge we would have," Barnaby added.

Of individual performances Barnaby said that he was "especially pleased" with number five, Robbie Sedgwick. "He has improved greatly since he was number ten last year, and he's now in the class of other strong number five men." Barnaby said.

Harvard used its regular lineup against the Black Knights. Captain Peter Briggs played number one, with Andy Wiegand second. Glenn Whitman third. Neil Vosters fourth, and Robbie Sedgwick fifth. Archie Gwathney was sixth. Pete Blaiser seventh, Fred Fisher eight, and Dick Cashin ninth. Steve Mead and Lloyd Clareman played in the extra two matches.

Harvard will play Navy, Princeton and Pennsylvania in January. Barnaby said that "these will all be tough matches, especially since we play them all away. I can't predict now how we'll do, but it will be quite a challenge."

"If we keep healthy, we'll keep improving. We're not quite as strong as last year, but we have the potential. We'll know where we stand after these three matches." Barnaby added.

Harvard will also compete in the University Club of New York Invitational Tournament on December 26, 27 and 28. Last year Peter Briggs won the Christmas elimination tourney.