Frosh Skaters Crush UMass; Grab First Game of Season 7-1

The Crimson freshman hockey squad made the Redmen of UMass redder Saturday afternoon as they crushed the UMass B team 7-1 at Watson Rink.

The Harvard Yardlings began the contest with a one-goal donation to the UMass cause, as a pair of Redmen broke into the Harvard one and fired the puck past goalie Jimmy Murray.

Five minutes later the Crimson frosh lit up the goal light at the UMass end. With a Redman in the penalty box, right wing Peter Owen deflected an Allen Peacock slap shot past the UMass goaltender.

In the second period, the Crimson broke the game open, as left wing Phelps Swift scored two consecutive goals. He tallied first after receiving a pass from defenseman podd Nieland. Swift racked up his second goal moments later slamming the rebound of a Kevin Burke shot into the UMass nets. Center Burke scored at the end of the second period on a breakaway, to make the score 4-1.

Kevin Carr, playing center, opened the final period with a slapshot into the UMass acts. Burke gathered in his second tally of the day, breaking out of a scramble in front of the Redmen's goal to score. Left wing Nick Baughfeld rounded out the Harvard scoring as he converted a rebound for the seventh goal.

The Crimson offensive attack kept the Redmen's goalie very busy. The UMass goaltender stopped 32 shots while Harvard goalies Murray and Johnny Harris, who each played half the game, only turned away 18 attempts.

The frosh will face Boston University Wednesday on the Harrier's ice. The contest should be one of Harvard's roughest; The B.U. freshmen defeated Dartmouth this weekend, 5-3.