Fasting Student at B-School Faces Possible Deportation

Philipp O.C. Schorsch, a German citizen who was dismissed from the Business School Doctoral Program this past fall, may be deported from the United States.

Schorsch's request to change his nonimmigrant status from student to visitor and thereby extend his stay was denied by the U.S. Immigration and Nationalization Service in a letter to Schorsch dated February 4.

Schorsch has been on a hunger strike since January 1 to protest his dismissal, which he claimed was not based on the officially states academic factors but rather on an antagonism with his personal behavior. At the time of his dismissal, Schorsch charged that his personal sexual conduct--especially that his relations with the 16-and 18-year-old daughters of a prominent Boston doctor--had been a factor in his dismissal.

Schorsch said yesterday that he thinks the father of the girls notified Immigration of facts concerning his dismissal. The letter from Immigration, he said, included information not given out by the Business School.

Schorsch may appeal the decision on his status within ten days, but has decided not to. He said his lawyer had told him that he would be given 30 days after the appeal period to leave the country.

"I will not be deported alive," Schorsch said.

Schorsch said he would accept no compromise offered to him by the Business School. In a flier which he distributed Wednesday, the 15th since he began his hunger strike. Schorsch said. "There can be no middle ground: Either the decision to dismiss me was fully justified...or I should be reinstated fully..."

Schorsch said that two weeks ago Richard S. Rosenbloom '54, director of the Doctoral Program, told him he could arrange for Schorsch to continue academic pursuits at the Business School without formal readmittance.