Racquetmen Shutout Tigers, Keep Perfect Record Intact

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity squash team, for the second consecutive year, shutout Princeton, 9-0, and advanced a step closer to a showdown with Penn for the national collegiate title.

Saturday's victory on the Hemenway courts was never in doubt. The Crimson had secured two points with wins by number one Peter Briggs and captain Dave Fish on Friday, and the remainder of the squad drooped only one individual game, in securing the team win in 28 games.

Harvard is now the only undefeated collegiate squad in the country, Navy, a 6-3, Crimson victim, upset Penn, 6-3, on the Middies courts Wednesday. The unexpected loss will give the Quakers nothing to lose and everything to gain when they arrive at Hemenway February 26, Penn and Harvard have fought to the last point for the national title in each of the last three years.

The Crimson demonstrated its depth against the Tigers on Saturday, dominating each of the individual matches. Only junior Andy Weigand, three, had to go beyond intermission to subdue his challenger.

Four members of last year's Crimson squad, the first ever to shutout Princeton, duplicated their previous performances at four through seven. sophomores Glenn whitman and Archie Gwathmey completed the whitewash at eight and nine.

Senior Bob Sedgewick also won handily at number ten, 15-6, 15-5, 15-1, and assured coach Jack Barnaby of a sound replacement in the ladder should any Crimson player be sidelined with the flu later this month.