Yardling Stickmen Overpower Dartmouth

To the die-hard, enthusiastic fans of freshman hockey, yesterday's action held few surprises as the Crimson rolled over an outclassed Dartmouth squad, 8-3. The victory in the last home game of the season extended the Yardlings' record to 12-2.

Though the Frosh have only played together for a few months, yesterday's contest proved that the squad plays with the ease and confidence that some teams never seem to acquire. As Coach Tim Taylor noted earlier this season, the purpose of a freshman team is to teach the members to skate hard, pass the puck well, and in general perform as a team, not just as individuals. This is the lesson to be learned and the Frosh seem to have learned it.

Outstanding performances were turned in yesterday's game against the Indians by Leigh Hogan and Jim Thomas; each had two goals in the contest.

Hogan started the scoring in the first period with two quick goals in the first two minutes that set the pace of the action. Dartmouth responded with a goal at 8:02 by Chris Keefe. The momentum, however, quickly returned to the Yardlings as they scored two more goals in the period, by Ted Thorndike and Randy Roth, giving them a 4-1 lead.

In the second period, the Freshmen continued to control the puck well, but, excited by the prospect of scoring more goals, they seemed to take greater chances in their play. As a result, though the squad attempted shots, only one goal was scored. That goal came at 10:18 of the period, as Jim Thomas scored his first of two. At the end of the second period the Crimson led 5-1.

The sustained Harvard offensive continued in the third period, and although the Indians scored twice, the Yardlings dominated the action. Dartmouth opened the period, on a breakaway goal by Bob Arndt at 1:17. The Crimson responded at 4:56 however with a goal by Brad Wilson.

Dartmouth hopes for a comeback rose after another goal, this time by Chris Quinn at 8:00, but by then the game was out of reach. Turning their attentions to good defense, the Yardlings turned back the Green attack. Harvard completed the scoring as Thomas and Dave Gauthier scored the final goals of the game at 12:05 and 13:10 respectively, raising the final score of the game to 8-3.