Nixon Names Radcliffe Graduate For Council of Economic Advisors

President Nixon announced Monday the appointment of a Radcliffe graduate to the Council of Economic Advisors. Marina von Neumann Whitman '56, is the first woman to be appointed to the three member Presidential advisory committee.

The appointment follows by two weeks Whitman's nomination to the Board of Overseers of the University. She is one of 12 candidates for the six open positions on the board.

If Whitman's nomination for the council is confirmed by the Senate--where little opposition is expected--she will replace Paul W. McCracken, the chairman of the council, who recently resigned.

"The prospect of the appointment is very exciting, very challenging, very gratifying." Whitman said yesterday.

She added that it is "a little frustrating" that she is the first woman appointee to the council. "It would be nice to live in a world where not too much fuss would be made about a female appointment of this nature," she said.

Whitman said that holding the two posts would "not be much of a problem."

"The Board of Overseers only meets seven or eight times a year," she said.

Last fall Whitman was named the only woman member of the seven member Price Control Commission. She will remain in that post until she resigns on February 15.