Quakers Win Heps; Harvard Is Fourth

By E.j. Dionne

Jim Tuppeny's Pennsylvania squad retained its crown for the second year in a row at the 25th annual Indoor Heptagonal track championships held at Cornell on Saturday.

The final scoring gave Penn 60, Navy 42, and Cornell 32. Harvard, Princeton and Army took 22 points each while Yale, Brown, Dartmouth and Columbia finished well out of the money.

"We are just about where we've been all winter," coach Bill McCurdy said last night. "Barring the explosion in the Big Three, we expected to finish about where we did.

"In a championship meet, a few individuals can do it," McCurdy added. "In a dual meet, you have to have depth."

Miler John Z. Quirk was Harvard's strongest competitor in the meet. Coming off an illness, he had to fight his way out of a crowd of runners at several points in the running. Penn's Bob Child held the lead throughout the race and finished first in 4:09.6. Going into the last quarter, Quirk passed Cornell's Don Alexander and appeared to be headed for a second place finish.

But Alexander caught and passed him with about 220 yards to go. Quirk managed to stay close to Alexander, however, and passed him at the tape for second place, Both were clocked at 4:11.7.

A surprise winner for the Crimson was Vince Vanderpool-Wallace, who joined the team just three weeks ago. He finished third in the triple jump in 47 ft. 10 2/4 in. Kevin Benjamin took fifth place with a jump of 47-8.

Among the other Harvard winners were Ric Rojas, who took third in the two mile; Jim Kleiger, third in the pole vault; Deway Hickman, third in the hurdies and Ballee Reed, fifth in the dash.