Princeton Faculty Vote Kills Student Recess for Elections

By Martha L. Wolfe

The Princeton University faculty last week voted 97 to 36 to discontinue the "Princeton Plan", which provided for a pre-election recess to allow students to work for political candidates.

A poll taken in 1970 revealed that one-quarter of the student body worked for candidates during the 1970 recess and a considerably lower percentage was expected to work this year.

The plan was discontinued primarily because it cost Princeton an additional $53,715 to keep the buildings open and feed and house the 460 athletes who stayed on campus to train during the 11 day recess.

To compensate for the suspension of classes, the faculty added 11 days to the academic year. Extension of the term cost the students an estimated $300,000 in summer wages.

James Dorsey, editor of the Daily Princetonian, said yesterday that the students had expected the plan would be discontinued and had not protested the faculty vote.

It Was Coming

"Everybody knew it was coming," Dorsey said. "No faculty member felt strongly about it, even the radical professors who now believe more in working outside of the system. There were not enough professors in the middle in 1972 to favor it."