Stickmen Face Huskies In Beanpot First Round

By Evan W. Thomas

In the late '60's, Northwestern's hockey teams, composed of Massachusetts high school who were too bad to play B.C. and too thick to get into Harvard, were wallowing at the of Division I.

Despite such drawing card as a campus that resembles the -by factories in South Boston ice at the Boston Arena, antiquated rink with more seats than spectators, Northeastern started recruiting Canadians. The Huskies managed to come up a decent 10-41 freshmen team and ex-Bruins' star Fern a varsity coach.

Flaman coached the Huskies a 12-0 loss to Harvard in his first and a 7-22 record over-all, and his team was better known for its minutes than its finesse.

Northeastern is slightly better this year, but at best it can be described as a good Division II team. The Huskies are 2-12 in Division I, upsets over B.C. and St. Lawrence, and 4-13 overall. Vermont, probably the best Division II team, clipped Northeastern, 3-2, last Saturday.

The Huskies are traditionally the weak link in the Beanpot, and there is little chance that they will improve their 6-32 Beanpot record when they take on Harvard tonight at 6:30 at the Garden.

Although Harvard will be rusty coming off a three week exam lay-off, they should still murder Northeastern. Playing sloppily after their upset loss to UNH, the Crimson still coasted over Northeastern a month ago, 5-2.

Decent Players

The Huskies do have a couple of decent players. Alan Dunkle leads Northeastern in goal scoring, and tallied a nice breakaway goal against Harvard in January. Northeastern captain and goalie, Dan Eberly, must be in a state of permanent shell shock after playing behind the Huskie defense for three years, but he can be good, and he has apparently retained his spirit. "The surprising thing is that we keep getting up for the next game," he said last week.

Decent Players

Decent Players

Decent Players

Decent Players