Taiwan TV Crew Films Documentary Here

By Marion B. Lennihan

A television crew from Taiwan is filming scenes at Harvard this week for a documentary on higher education in the United States.

The Crew--from China Television Corporation (CTC) a private network based in Taiwan--filmed at Berkeley last week and next week will visit the Universities of Maryland and Miami. The producers chose Harvard as a typical Ivy League school and will focus on the liberal arts program here.

The directors are especially interested in the Harvard House system, which distinguishes Harvard from most other American universities. CTC cameramen appeared at an open house at Eliot House Tuesday night and filmed an interview with Daniel Steiner '54, acting master of Eliot, about the problems of the House system.

A black student at the open house answered an interviewer's questions about racial problems at Harvard and a Radcliffe sophomore discussed life in a predominantly-male house.

The Chinese are aware that Harvard students are not sympathetic to the Nationalist government on Taiwan, according to Guy Darst, a Harvard News Office spokesman who has been coordinating the CTC's schedule here. The Chinese are "staying totally away" from political issues, he added.

Samuel Chang '74, a Chinese student from Taiwan who was interviewed for the documentary, said that the crew asked him to avoid any mention of political issues.

In addition to the open house and interviews with students, the documentary will include shots of sports, classes, the Fogg Museum, Widener and Oral Roberts, who was here for Harvard's basketball game against Oral Roberts University Monday night. Harvard lost, 100-99.