Star Fencer Tatrallyay Named to All-Ivy Team

Standout Crimson epee man Geza Tatrallyay has been named to the CoachesAll-Ivy fencing team for 1971-72 the league office announced Thursday.

Tatrallyay, captain of this year's Crimson squad that tied for second place in the Ivies, won 11 of 15 league bouts to nail down the All-Ivy honors. For the entire season, Tatrallyay triumphed in 39 contests, while losing only 15.

The announcement marks Tatrallyay's second All-Ivy selection. As a sophomore in 1968-69 he also won all-star laurels, making the squad with a strong showing against Yale in the last match of the season.

Tatrallyay will conclude his Harvard fencing career this week at the NCAA championships in Chicago. In his last NCAA appearance, also in 1968-69, he finished sixteenth in a field of 45. It will be his second NCAA championship competition.

League champion Columbia dominated the rest of the All-Ivy selections, placing six men on the eleven-men team. Penn followed with two all-star selections. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale had one each.

Columbia placed three men on both the foil and sabre all-star squads. Foil men Gary Pepper, Bob Berger, and Greg Gall, along with sabre fencers Bruce Soriano, George Bartos, and Tom Losonszy were the Lion's all-league selections. Penn's Ernesto Fernandez and Brooke Makler combined with Tatrallyay to make up the epee team. Yale's Steve Blum and Princeton's Rich Lawrence in sabre and foil, respectively, rounded out the all-star selections.

According to final league standings, undefeated Columbia, with a 5-0 record, again took the Ivy title. Harvard in its highest finish ever, tied Yale and Penn for second with a 3-2 mark. Princeton and Cornell respectively finished at the bottom of the standings.